Biscayne National Park

The national park almost seems like its own world, far away from civilization, and yet it is within sight of Miami.

Under the water surface, which covers about 95% of the park, lies a good 10,000 years of human history.

Located in South Florida, just 30 miles from Downtown Miami, this is the paradise for water lovers

Boca Chita Key and Lighthouse

Largest marine marine sanctuary in the US national park system with four distinct eco systems. Home to sea turtles, dolphins and manatees, among others.

The visitor center sheds light on over 10,000 years of human history in Biscayne

It’s a water wonderland

Some of the Marinas in Miami Dade county have direct park access

Homestead Bayfront just south of the park headquarters

Blackpoint, Kayak and Kanu launch, bike path, restaurant on the central and western border

South of Miami is Biscayne National Park, 95% of which is underwater. The remaining 5% consists of a dense mangrove forest.

95% of Biscayne National Park is underwater.

Biscayne National Park’s reef system is the third largest in the world, after Australia’s Great Barrier Reef and Belize’s reef.

Dante Fascell Visitor Center

The first port of call when visiting the national park is the Dante Fascell Visitor Center at Convoy Point. Glass-bottom boat tours and island excursions start from here, and you can also rent your own kayaks and canoes.

In the exciting exhibitions you have the chance to take a virtual journey through the ecosystems of the park. Numerous dioramas, videos and audio lectures are available for this purpose.

Don’t miss the “Touch Table” here, on which bones, feathers, corals and other objects are displayed and can be touched.

Flora and Fauna

How much does it cost to visit Biscayne National Park?

A visit to Biscayne National Park is generally free and requires no prior reservation. That sounds great, but beware: Since the national park is 95% in the water, most of the sights can only be reached by boat. If you don’t have your own boat, you only have the option of renting one or booking a guided boat tour.

Biscayne Boat Tours

If you decide to take a boat tour to the park, we recommend using a canoe. With this you can moor and disembark at all piers in the park. Motorized boats must be docked at a marina in the area. The kayak crossing will take you about 6 hours – after all, there are 7 miles of open water to overcome.

Exciting experiences on the water are also possible thanks to a nonprofit, the Biscayne National Park Institute. On the website you will find numerous excursions which will introduce you to the exciting water world of Biscayne National Park.

Camping in Biscayne

There is a small campsite on Elliott Key with 35 campsites, shower and toilet.

Boca Chita Key & Lighthouse

Elliott Key

Adams Key

Biscayne Fishing

For more information regarding fishing regulations in Biscayne National Park, please see the official National Park Service website.

Biscayne History

The history of the national park began on October 18, 1968, with the construction of Biscayne National Monument. Almost 12 years later, on June 28, 1980, the monument was declared a national park.

It was originally intended to merge the park with Everglades National Park.

Other National Parks in Florida

9700 SW 328th St, Homestead, FL 33033

Read further:

This article includes links to third party offers. Each time you make a purchase, we receive a commission. Learn more